Christopher Ssentongo, the driver of the Toyota Prado TX that police broke into to arrest Kyadondo East Member of Parliament, Robert Kyagulanyi, also known as Bobi Wine has narrated the ordeal that led to the arrest.
Police on Monday afternoon had to break into the vehicle belonging to Mityana Municiplaity legislator Francis Zaake before arresting Kyagulanyi and whisked away to an unknown destination.
In an interview with the media, Ssentongo, who was the driver of the vehicle said Police made many unsuccessful attempts on breaking into the vehicle in vain.
“When we tried to enter Busaabala, they blocked us. They started spraying pepper into the car fans but lucky enough, the air conditioner filtered the air and we were not harmed by the spray,”Ssentongo said.
He however noted that when all attempts failed, police clamped and towed the Toyota TX before going for their next plan of forcefully breaking into the vehicle.
“They used their pistols to break the passenger door screen where Bobi was seated. They then sprayed inside with pepper forcing him(Bobi Wine) to ask that I open,”Ssentongo narrated.
The driver said at this time, police grabbed Kyagulanyi and whisked him away to an unknown destination while the driver was left untouched.
A closer look at the window shows a huge hole left behind by the shatters of the pistol butts.
Ssentongo however condemned police for its “inhumane” act that he said targeted people who had committed no crime.
“Driving is a passion to many of us. We had done nothing and it was wrong for police to spray us,”Ssentongo noted.
Police last week directed all its commanders to block all planned concerts for Bobi Wine for flouting security guidelines in his earlier shows.
In a letter dated April 19, 2019, copied to Abbey Musinguzi of Abtex Promotions, the organiser of the Busabala the police director in charge of operations, AIGP Asuman Mugenyi said management had failed to meet security guidelines at previous concerts prompting them to subsequently block the concert.
“This is to inform you that despite the elaborate and clear guidelines well stipulated in our correspondence and the previous meetings we had regarding the preparations, the manner, conduct, characteristics and security demands from your side, previous concerts have fallen short of agreed positions,” Mugenyi said.
Police however noted that the concerts can only continue when “robust” public security mechanisms are put in place to secure revelers and other people who might be affected.
In response, Bobi Wine said he would not simply sit and watch as his rights are being trampled upon by police.
“This brings the total number of our blocked concerts across the country to 124 since October, 2017. We shall not resist this impunity, “Bobi Wine posted on his social media pages.
Last year, the Kyarenga album launch at Namboole and Busaabala were blocked by police.